About the role
As a Senior Digital Designer you will be responsible for the scoping, design and delivery of digital user interfaces and associated experiences, following a practice of design thinking and UCD (User Centred Design).
Necessary skills and experience:
- 5+ years working as part of an agency or integrated in-house design team, ideally having worked as a design lead or similar on agile projects as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Portfolio of work demonstrating strong skills in graphic design and prototyping related to the web, native apps and other equivalent digital experiences
- Neat sketching and presentation of design concepts
- Workshop planning and facilitation
- Accurate time estimation and management
- Project scoping and budgeting
- A pragmatic approach to design tasks and constraints
- Strong knowledge of information design and related practices, including research techniques and evaluation to support design
- Cross-channel journey mapping
- An understanding of software development and coding related to the web and native mobile apps. The ability to code is not required.
- Observation and scoping of research and testing related to UCD, including the definition of tasks for inclusion in discussion guides and testing objectives
- Demonstrable experience in evaluating quant and qual metrics relating to digital experiences
- Excellent presentation and listening skills
- Formal training in a creative discipline, engineering or psychology is desirable but not required
Your design approach, personality and attitude are what’s important to us. The strength of our team relies on our combined experience, and we can’t afford to hire any less than the very best people.
We offer a premier service to our clients and take great pride and care in the designs we create and the process of discovering them. KD are one of the few agencies in the world that can effectively cover every aspect of researching, designing, engineering, testing and delivering commercial products and digital experiences.
The Digital UX Design Team at KD
Maximising the value of the digital experience within product ecosystems.
“Digital experiences are integral to so many of our clients’ ambitions and product ecosystems. It is essential that we maximise the value of these digital touchpoints to ensure simple, compelling and seamless product and user experiences.”
With digital playing an ever-increasing part in product and services, either to visualise and communicate data, or as an enabler of smart, connected systems, well-executed digital user experiences are vital to product success.
KD is uniquely able to deploy expertise to deliver,
User needs – Starting with high-level understanding of desired outcomes for both business and end users, we undertake research to establish user needs and define these as user stories and journeys. From these we identify unmet needs and opportunities.
Design – Taking user needs to develop concepts as basic wireframes, screen layouts and system / process flow diagrams. Defining interaction points between hardware and digital components of the end system.
Prototyping, testing and iterating – Using a variety of prototype fidelities, we rapidly develop prototypes to test concepts with users, iterating findings from this testing to loop back into design refinements or new ideas. To facilitate this, we have developed a digital ‘prototyping framework’, providing a pre-built structure with connected hardware, cross-platform mobile app tools, cloud data storage and a web dashboard, to allow us to rapidly tailor to specific product needs in the form of highly effective demonstrators.
Development – Once validated product concepts have been established, our design and software development teams work seamlessly together, and in collaboration with client team and development partners to build final products and systems.
- Connected Devices
- Storyboarding & Wireframing
- Physical – Digital Interfacing
- App Development
- UI/UX Design
- Smart Packaging
- Digital Service Experiences
- AR/VR Simulation & Development
- Digital Prototyping & Testing
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) we combine creative, technical and user experience expertise, working collaboratively, and with agility, to rapidly define, create, develop and deliver world-changing products and experiences.
We think KD is a special place. Our team are intelligent, hard-working, fun, non-egocentric, and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions, working with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team of 75, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one building.
Our team are collectively driven to “design a better world” by creating impactful change and positive outcomes for our clients and the people we are designing for. Designing a better world is something we strive for, both in the work we do, and the way we work. We believe strongly in equality and fairness, and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building, was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850, and was later used to store theatre costumes. It’s now completely refitted, and houses all our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, HF usability suite, and client meeting spaces. The local area, “Christmas Steps Arts Quarter”, is full of independent shops and makers. It’s a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets, and a few minutes further to the Georgian splendour of Queen Square.
Today, our business and teams are expanding rapidly as we acquire new clients and projects, and as a result we are building new adjacent offices. Work on the new glass building is due to start in early 2020, and when complete we’ll connect the two buildings together. Having all of our staff, skills and equipment in one location ensures we quickly exchange ideas, and can continuously work as multi-disciplinary teams.
Check out our Instagram account to gain an insight into what life is like as part of the KD team, and inside KD HQ.
Why work with us?
We are only as good as the people in our team, and we know how important it is to support them so that they can do and be their best. As part of the KD team, you’ll be working alongside some of the smartest and most inspiring people you will ever meet. We’re ambitious and driven to be best in the world at what we do.
We offer our staff,
- 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service)
- A matched contributory pension scheme
- Company-wide bonus
- Private health care for you and your family; free eye tests plus an employee assistance scheme for you
- Training and development opportunities, and regular lunch and learn sessions
- Flexible start and finish times: most staff take advantage of our new scheme! We all work core hours 09:30 – 16:00, and then benefit from an early finish of 12:00 on Fridays.
- Secure in-building bike storage and shower, discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes. (Bristol has a good Park & Ride bus network.)
- The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, The Big Bang.
- Our cafe acts as the focal point for the whole agency to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. There is always daily fresh fruit and usually cake! Staff also organise KD runs and yoga sessions, plus monthly “Firsty Friday” socials.
How to apply
If this sounds like you, then please send your CV and covering letter to [email protected].
Salary commensurate with experience. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
If you’d like to apply or discuss the role, we’d love to hear from you (unless you’re a recruitment consultant). We embrace equality and diversity in our business, it’s really important to us.