About the role
To support the growth and ambition of the business, we are looking for a Project Manager to support our multi-disciplinary teams, primarily with the successful delivery of some of our exciting and innovative medical design projects.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to work alongside our multi-disciplinary project teams and help to continue to deliver project success. We’re looking for an outstanding individual with excellent project management skills. You will have current experience in medical device development combined with drive and experience of project management role in consultancy, or equivalent environment.
Within the medical sector, we primarily work on inhalation, injectables and diagnostic devices for a range of companies, from Major blue chips to exciting start-ups. We are often looking for novel solutions to complex problems and projects can vary in length from a couple of months to long term developments working in partnership with our clients, to get their products to market.
If you’ve got the experience, talent, drive and ambition, combined with both the humility and confidence to work in a fast-paced, high-performance environment, read on!
You will have a depth of experience in project management, particularly in the medical industry. You will be looking for an opportunity to work with well known, industry-leading clients on exciting and innovative projects. You may be bored working on the same project for years on end and looking to take your skills somewhere where they can shine and grow. You will enjoy the challenge of working on a variety of projects and leading multi-disciplinary teams to deliver success. You will have experience working in a consultancy environment, understanding the pace, agility and creativity of thought required to get the job done. Working with the support of the Head of Delivery you will be self-motivated and have the communication skills required to work across different teams, managing differing priorities and challenges as they arise.
Your skills and experience
- Have a minimum of 5 years’ experience of project management within medical device development, leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Enjoy working in a fast paced, multi-task environment under pressure and tight time constraints
- Be excellent at planning and defining project scope, goals and deliverables
- Develop and communicate accurate project schedules and timelines through use of tools such as Microsoft Project.
- Champion the benefits of project management across the business
- Be able to understand the challenges in a project and tailor resources accordingly
- Ensure on-time and within-budget project execution and delivery by managing risks, driving decisions, maintaining commitments to decisions made, and implementing contingency plans with urgency, high quality of execution and impact.
- Have the ability to think critically and problem solve effectively, leading to excellent decision making.
- Have the experience and ability to use project management tools to define and manage budgets
- Be capable of defining project quality across multidisciplinary teams.
- Define, document and update project proposals through full development cycle.
- Document lessons learnt through development and implement improvements needed for future programmes.
- Have a robust approach to risk management, including working within design control under quality management systems
- Have experience working to ISO 13485, ISO 9001 and ISO 14971.
- Be able to implement different project management methods and frameworks such as PRINCE2, APM, Agile etc.
- Have strong commercial understanding related to income, profitability, efficiency, costs and value
- Have experience of subcontract/supplier definition, selection, negotiation and management
- Have excellent communication skills (from ability to relate well to colleagues to being able to deliver presentations to senior client audiences)
- Be able to inspire and lead by example
It is highly desirable that you have consultancy experience.
This is a full-time role based at our HQ in the centre of the vibrant city of Bristol.
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) we combine creative, technical and user experience expertise with agility. This enables our collaborative teams to rapidly define, create, develop and deliver world-changing products and experiences.
We think KD is a special place. Our team are intelligent, hard-working, fun, non-egocentric, and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions. We work with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team of 75, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one building.
Our team are collectively driven to “design a better world” by creating impactful change and positive outcomes for our clients and the people we are designing for. Designing a better world is something we strive for, both in the work we do, and the way we work. We believe strongly in equality and fairness, and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850, and was later used to store theatre costumes. It’s now completely refitted, and houses all our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, HF usability suite, and client meeting spaces. The local area, “Christmas Steps Arts Quarter”, is full of independent shops and makers. It’s a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets.
Today, our business and teams are expanding rapidly as we acquire prestigious new clients and projects, and as a result we are building new adjacent offices. Work on the new glass building is due to start in 2020, and when complete we’ll connect the two buildings together. Having all of our staff, skills and equipment in one location ensures we quickly exchange ideas, and can continuously work as multi-disciplinary teams.
Why work with us?
We understand that we are only as good as our people, and we know how important it is to support our team.
We offer our staff:
- 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service)
- A matched contributory pension scheme
- Company-wide bonus
- Private health care for you and your family; free employee eye tests plus an employee assistance scheme
- Training and development opportunities, and regular lunch and learn sessions
- Flexible start and finish times: We all work core hours 09:30 – 16:00, and then benefit from an early finish of 12:00 on Fridays.
- Secure in-building bike storage and shower, discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes. (Bristol has a good Park & Ride bus network.)
- The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, The Big Bang.
- Our cafe acts as the focal point for the whole agency to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. There is always daily fresh fruit and usually cake! Staff also organise KD runs and yoga sessions, plus monthly “Firsty Friday” socials.
If this sounds like you, then please send your CV and covering letter to [email protected].
Salary commensurate with experience. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
If you have any queries about the role you would like to talk through before you apply, please get in touch. If you’d like to apply we’d love to hear from you (unless you’re a recruitment consultant). We embrace equality and diversity in our business, it’s really important to us.