About the role
At Kinneir Dufort our mission is simple – to Design a Better World. We work with a wide range of clients in a variety of sectors, including medical, consumer and industrial. We have a highly skilled and collaborative team that enables us to combine creativity, technical innovation and user experience to deliver world-changing products and services to our clients.
Right now, we’re growing and we’re looking for the right person who wants to grow with us. We’re looking to recruit a Portfolio Manager (Business Developer), whose role will be to accelerate the development of a fast growing, profitable and sustainable business across its Consumer and Industrial market sectors.
As Portfolio Manager, you will take a consultative selling approach to working with both existing and new clients. You will help them to understand the full range of innovative, technology-based product design services that Kinneir Dufort can offer, and you will build strong relationships that clients will turn to time and time again as they develop their product strategies. We are proud that we can support clients to ‘think differently’ about their approaches, offering innovation programmes and designing connected product ecosystems, as well as creating smart & sustainable packaging and product solutions.
We’re looking for a special type of salesperson. First and foremost, you will be passionate about designing a better world and you’ll understand how your role as Portfolio Manager plays a vital part in this. Importantly, you won’t be a lone ranger. Team is an important word at KD, and we believe that all of us brings our particular ‘super power’ to what we can offer as a whole. So, you’ll need to be a natural collaborator, with a disciplined approach, who’s ready to focus on winning exciting new contracts for our team to deliver.
You’ll have a lot of energy; experience of selling technology-based product design services, and you’ll believe, like we do, in the importance of user experience in the design process. You will have experience of selling in a consultative environment, with both products and design services. You will have gravitas and credibility, but with the down-to-earth approach that inspires trust and excitement in our clients.
You will be joining a sales team and a company that is obsessed with helping its clients to create innovative and market leading design solutions that deliver outstanding benefits.
For the right person this permanent role is an influential one, with an opportunity to work closely with our board level Business Director. We feel it’s a full-time role, but we’re open to discussing flexibility around this if you have the ‘super power’ that this role needs.
You are no ordinary ‘sales person’. You may currently be in a business development role for an innovation, design or technology consultancy business, or you may have a product or digital design background but have a talent and passion for winning business and developing clients. Either way you know you have your own super power to add to our team and you’re excited to come and tell us about it.
Your skills and experience
You will have:
- Consultative selling experience of technology-based product design services, preferably including a strong digital element
- Strong understanding of innovation and technology in product design and an ability to communicate this knowledgeably to clients
- Successful experience of selling to blue chip Consumer and Industrial clients
- Experience of successfully working as part of a team and openly exchanging information and supporting colleagues
- Evidence of a collaborative style and approach
- Evidence of strong client relationships
- Evidence of a results-based ethos
- Experience of translating strategic priorities into appropriate action
- Evidence of continuous professional development
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) we combine creative, technical and user experience expertise with agility. This enables our collaborative teams to rapidly define, create, develop and deliver world-changing products and experiences.
We think KD is a special place. Our team are intelligent, hard-working, fun, non-egocentric, and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions. We work with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team of 75, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one building.
Our team are collectively driven to “design a better world” by creating impactful change and positive outcomes for our clients and the people we are designing for. Designing a better world is something we strive for, both in the work we do, and the way we work. We believe strongly in equality and fairness, and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850, and was later used to store theatre costumes. It’s now completely refitted, and houses all our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, HF usability suite, and client meeting spaces. The local area, “Christmas Steps Arts Quarter”, is full of independent shops and makers. It’s a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets.
Since the Coronavirus pandemic, we’ve been actively exploring our ways of working for the future. At the moment, we offer ‘flexible working hours’ based around some core hours each week. We fully anticipate further change in our understanding of what flexibility really means to us, and a team of staff is currently looking at how, where and when we can work to help us to be as effective, productive and happy as we can be in the future.
Why work with us?
At KD we have strong values which underpin everything we do. As a business and as individuals we are Respectful, Open, Smart, Pioneering, Curious & Fun.
We expect a lot of our team, but in return we think we offer a lot too.
We understand that we are only as good as our people, and we know how important it is to support our team.
We offer our staff:
• 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service).
• A matched contributory pension scheme.
• Company-wide bonus.
• Private health care for you and your family; free employee eye tests plus an employee assistance scheme.
• Training and development opportunities, and regular lunch and learn sessions.
• Flexibility working approaches.
• Regular opportunities to have your say, tell us what you think and influence how we develop as a team and as a business.
• Secure in-building bike storage and shower, discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes. (Bristol has a good Park & Ride bus network.)
• The opportunity to become involved in our work with Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, Babbasa, The Big Bang.
• Our cafe acts as the focal point for the whole agency to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. There is always daily fresh fruit and usually cake! There are plenty of opportunities to socialise outside of the office too, including activities like staff-organised runs, cycles, yoga sessions, as well as regular team ‘socials’.
If you like the sound of us and you meet the above criteria, then we’d love to hear from you. Send your CV, along with a covering letter/email, to [email protected], including reference to KDPM-Aug2020 in the subject line.