About the role
Kinneir Dufort is a leading innovative product design business, combining creative, technical and user experience expertise to deliver world changing products and services for medical, consumer and industrial clients.
In order to accelerate its growth, Kinneir Dufort is looking to recruit a Portfolio Manager (Business Developer), whose role will be to accelerate the development of a fast growing, profitable and sustainable business across its Consumer and Industrial market sectors.
The primary offer will be focused on consultative selling of innovative, technology based, product design services to existing and new clients, often with a strong digital element. Targeted areas will include innovation programmes, connected product ecosystems and smart packaging, sustainable packaging and product solutions.
The role will require a high energy individual, with experience of selling technology based, user centric, product design services. You will have the necessary experience, gravitas and knowledge to engage with, and excite, a broad client base. You will be naturally collaborative, disciplined in your approach and heavily results focused.
You will be joining a sales team and a company that is obsessed with helping its clients to create innovative and market leading design solutions that deliver outstanding benefits.
This permanent role will work closely with Kinneir Dufort’s board level Business Director.
It is anticipated that the role is full time, but we are open to flexibility for the right person.
You may currently be in a sales role for an innovation, design or technology consultancy business, or you may have a product or digital design background but have a talent and passion for winning business and developing clients.
Your skills and experience
You will have:
- Consultative selling experience of technology-based product design services, preferably including a strong digital element
- Strong understanding of technology in product design and an ability to communicate this knowledgeably to clients
- Successful experience of selling to blue chip Consumer and Industrial clients
- Experience of successfully working as part of a team and openly exchanging information and supporting colleagues
- Evidence of a collaborative style and approach
- Evidence of strong client relationships
- Evidence of a results-based ethos
- Experience of translating strategic priorities into appropriate action
- Evidence of continuous professional development
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) we combine creative, technical and user experience expertise with agility. This enables our collaborative teams to rapidly define, create, develop and deliver world-changing products and experiences.
We think KD is a special place. Our team are intelligent, hard-working, fun, non-egocentric, and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions. We work with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team of 75, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one building.
Our team are collectively driven to “design a better world” by creating impactful change and positive outcomes for our clients and the people we are designing for. Designing a better world is something we strive for, both in the work we do, and the way we work. We believe strongly in equality and fairness, and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850, and was later used to store theatre costumes. It’s now completely refitted, and houses all our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, HF usability suite, and client meeting spaces. The local area, “Christmas Steps Arts Quarter”, is full of independent shops and makers. It’s a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets.
Since the Coronavirus pandemic, we’ve been actively exploring our ways of working for the future. At the moment, we offer ‘flexible working hours’ based around some core hours each week. We fully anticipate further change in our understanding of what flexibility really means to us, and a team of staff is currently looking at how, where and when we can work to help us to be as effective, productive and happy as we can be in the future.
Why work with us?
We understand that we are only as good as our people, and we know how important it is to support our team.
We offer our staff:
- 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service).
- A matched contributory pension scheme.
- Company-wide bonus.
- Private health care for you and your family; free employee eye tests plus an employee assistance scheme.
- Training and development opportunities, and regular lunch and learn sessions.
- Flexibility working approaches.
- Regular opportunities to have your say, tell us what you think and influence how we develop as a team and as a business.
- Secure in-building bike storage and shower, discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes. (Bristol has a good Park & Ride bus network.)
- The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, The Big Bang.
- Our cafe acts as the focal point for the whole agency to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. There is always daily fresh fruit and usually cake! There are plenty of opportunities to socialise outside of the office too, including activities like staff-organised runs, cycles, yoga sessions, as well as regular team ‘socials’.
If this sounds like you, then please send your CV and covering letter to [email protected].
Salary commensurate with experience. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
If you have any queries about the role you would like to talk through before you apply, please get in touch. If you’d like to apply we’d love to hear from you (unless you’re a recruitment consultant). We embrace equality and diversity in our business, it’s really important to us.