About the role
Kinneir Dufort (KD) is a leading innovative product design business, combining creative, technical and user experience expertise to deliver world changing products and services for medical, consumer and industrial clients.
We are looking for a Software Engineer seeking to apply their expanding software development expertise to the development of exciting new products and technologies.
You will be an ambitious software engineer, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience. Collaboration is vital to how we work, as it the specific ‘super power’ that each individual in our team brings. You will be a team-player, passionate about engineering, science and technology. You’ll enjoy problem-solving and working in a fast-paced, varied consultancy environment. We need you to feel confident when discussing project objectives and challenges with all stakeholders, including clients,
Your skills and experience
You will definitely have:
- A 2:1 Bachelor’s degree or above in Computing, Software Engineering or related degree
- A good understanding of software engineering best practice
- Experience developing embedded software in C/C++
- A solid understanding of common wired and wireless communications protocols including I2C, UART, SPI, Bluetooth LE
- Experience developing for low power applications by exploiting sleep/standby states and power management of peripherals
- Experience working with version control and bug tracking systems such as Git and Jira
- Confidence and authority when presenting work to others
- Great people skills and an ability to collaborate in project teams
- The ability to self-motivate and focus on an individual challenge when necessary
- Commercial awareness and be able to manage your time within defined timescales
You will ideally also have:
- Experience of working in a consultancy environment
- Medical device development experience including developing safety critical software to EN 62034 and the related ISO 14971 standards
- Experience working with the STM32 series of Arm Cortex microcontrollers
- Experience setting up and working with test frameworks and systems e.g. Jenkins, JUnit, CppUTest etc.
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) we combine creative, technical and user experience expertise with agility. This enables our collaborative teams to rapidly define, create, develop and deliver world-changing products and experiences.
We think KD is a special place. Our team are intelligent, hard-working, fun, non-egocentric, and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions. We work with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team of 50+ staff, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one building.
Our team are collectively driven to “design a better world” by creating impactful change and positive outcomes for our clients and the people we are designing for. Designing a better world is something we strive for, both in the work we do, and the way we work. We believe strongly in equality and fairness, and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850, and was later used to store theatre costumes. It’s now completely refitted, and houses all our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, HF usability suite, and client meeting spaces. The local area, “Christmas Steps Arts Quarter”, is full of independent shops and makers. It’s a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets.
Since the Coronavirus pandemic, we’ve been actively exploring our ways of working for the future. At the moment, we offer ‘flexible working hours’ based around specific core hours each week. We fully anticipate further change in our understanding of what flexibility really means to us, and a team of staff is currently looking at how, where and when we can work to help us to be as effective, productive and happy as we can be in the future.
Why work with us?
At KD we have strong values which underpin everything we do. As a business and as individuals we are Respectful, Open, Smart, Pioneering, Curious & Fun.
We expect a lot of our team, but in return we think we offer a lot too.
We understand that we are only as good as our people, and we know how important it is to support our team.
We offer our staff:
- Competitive salaries.
- 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service).
- A matched contributory pension scheme.
- Company-wide bonus.
- Private health care for you and your family; free employee eye tests plus an employee assistance scheme.
- Training and development opportunities, and regular lunch and learn sessions.
- Flexibility in working approaches.
- Regular opportunities to have your say, tell us what you think and influence how we develop as a team and as a business.
- Secure in-building bike storage and shower, discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes. (Bristol has a good Park & Ride bus network.)
- The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, The Big Bang.
- Our cafe acts as the focal point for the whole agency to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. There is always daily fresh fruit and usually cake! There are plenty of opportunities to socialise outside of the office too, including activities like staff-organised runs, cycles, yoga sessions, as well as regular team ‘socials’.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and fulfilment of the criteria above. This is a permanent, full-time role, working from our office based in the very heart of Bristol City centre.
If you like the sound of us and you meet the above criteria, then we’d love to hear from you. Send your CV, along with a covering letter/email, to [email protected], including reference to KDSE-Aug2020 in the subject line.
If you have any queries about the role you would like to talk through before you apply, please get in touch. If you’d like to apply we’d love to hear from you (unless you’re a recruitment consultant). We embrace equality and diversity in our business, it’s really important to us.