About the role
Kinneir Dufort (KD) is a user centred innovation, design and product development consultancy, combining creative, technical and user experience skills to deliver products and services for medical, consumer and industrial clients.
We are looking for a Senior Human Factors Consultant to join our experienced HF team.
Human Factors is a vital component of KD’s user-centred approach is a key part of KD’s Medical offer. Our work involves strategic planning, risk analysis and formative studies to set directions at early stages, and rigorous testing, analysis and summative studies during development and verification stages.
Reducing use-related risk is key, but there is more to it – the correct application of Human Factors will also increase desire and engagement adding commercial value to the resulting product experience.
As a Senior Human Factors Consultant, your key focus will be on management, planning, delivery and reporting of high-quality Human Factors studies. You will also make a significant contribution to developing business through support to sales meetings and proposal preparation.
You may be a rising star, looking for an opportunity to step up into a more senior role, or you are an established professional, with experience in a similar position, looking for a new environment and challenge. Either way you are an experienced, driven HF Consultant, keen to contribute to Kinneir Dufort’s HF and wider team.
At KD, collaboration is vital to how we work, as is the specific ‘super power’ that each individual in our team brings. You will be a team-player, enjoy problem-solving and working in a fast-paced, varied consultancy environment and be passionate about how Human Factors impact on product design and user experience.
Your skills and experience
You will definitely have:
- At least 5 years’ experience in Human Factors roles, including Medical device experience (preferably within a consultancy or similar team environment)
- Robust understanding of, and application of Human Factors practice to, the following standards and guidance:
o IEC 62366-1
o ISO 14971
o FDA Guidelines: Applying Human Factors and Usability Engineering to Medical Devices
- Confidence and assurance in planning and delivering HF programmes, predominantly in the UK and US, including: expert review, task analysis, contextual enquiry, formative and summative/validation studies
- Specific experience in the following:
o Overall approach to HF relating to risk management, usability, design/engineering, testing
o HF study planning / design
o Protocol drafting
o Ethical approvals management
o Participant recruitment management
o Study moderation, observation, data capture
o Use error and root cause analysis
o Reporting / presenting recommendations
- HF experience with medical devices, digital user interfaces, packaging, labelling and instructions for use
- Robust risk management and project management, including working within design control under quality management systems
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Confidence and authority when presenting work to others
- Great people skills and an ability to collaborate in project teams
- Commercial awareness and be able to manage your time within defined timescales
- Experience in supporting and mentoring more junior team members.
This is a full-time role based at our HQ in the centre of the vibrant city of Bristol. The role involves a significant amount of travel to undertake fieldwork, typically up to 20% of time – mainly in other UK locations and the US.
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) we combine creative, technical and user experience expertise with agility. This enables our collaborative teams to rapidly define, create, develop and deliver world-changing products and experiences.
We think KD is a special place. Our team are intelligent, hard-working, fun, non-egocentric, and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions. We work with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team of 50+ staff, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one building.
Our team are collectively driven to “design a better world” by creating impactful change and positive outcomes for our clients and the people we are designing for. Designing a better world is something we strive for, both in the work we do, and the way we work. We believe strongly in equality and fairness, and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850. Completely refitted, it houses all our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, HF usability suite, and client meeting spaces. The local area, “Christmas Steps Arts Quarter”, is full of independent shops and makers. It’s a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets.
Since the Coronavirus pandemic, we’ve been actively exploring our ways of working for the future. We offer ‘flexible working hours’ based around specific core hours each week. We fully anticipate further change in our understanding of what flexibility really means to us, and a team of staff is currently looking at how, where and when we can work to help us to be as effective, productive and happy as we can be in the future.
Why work with us?
At KD we have strong values which underpin everything we do. As a business and as individuals we are Respectful, Open, Smart, Pioneering, Curious & Fun.
We expect a lot of our team, but in return we think we offer a lot too.
We understand that we are only as good as our people, and we know how important it is to support our team.
We offer our staff:
- Competitive salaries.
- 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service).
- A matched contributory pension scheme.
- Company-wide bonus.
- Private health care for you and your family; free employee eye tests plus an employee assistance scheme.
- Training and development opportunities, and regular lunch and learn sessions.
- Flexibility in working approaches.
- Regular opportunities to have your say, tell us what you think and influence how we develop as a team and as a business.
- Secure in-building bike storage and shower, discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes. (Bristol has a good Park & Ride bus network.)
- The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, The Big Bang.
- Our cafe acts as the focal point for the whole agency to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. There is always daily fresh fruit and usually cake! There are plenty of opportunities to socialise outside of the office too, including activities like staff-organised runs, cycles, yoga sessions, as well as regular team ‘socials’.
If you like the sound of us and you meet the above criteria, then we’d love to hear from you. Send your CV, along with a covering letter/email, to [email protected], including reference to KDSHF-Aug2020 in the subject line.
If you have any queries about the role you would like to talk through before you apply, please get in touch. If you’d like to apply we’d love to hear from you (unless you’re a recruitment consultant). We embrace equality and diversity in our business, it’s really important to us.