About the role
We are looking for an Electronics Engineer looking to apply their expanding electronics expertise to the development of new products and technologies.
- A 2:1 Masters degree or above in Electronic Engineering or associated course
- A good understanding of electronics first principles and be comfortable performing basic hand calculations to check designs
- Knowledge of digital electronics principles, 8-bit/32-bit ARM micro-controllers, FPGAs etc
- Knowledge of communication interfaces (UART, I2C, SPI, USB, Ethernet etc.)
- An understanding of good practice in PCB layout
- Experience with low power circuit design
- Confidence and authority when presenting work to others
- Great people skills and ability to collaborate in project teams
- Commercial awareness and be able to manage your time within defined timescales
Desirable beneficial experience:
- Experience of working in a consultancy environment
- Medical device development experience
- Experience designing and testing for compliance, CE/FCC, EMC, radio, safety etc
- Experience developing systems from concept to design for manufacture
- Experience conducting FMEAs
- Experience using Altium Designer for schematic capture and PCB layout
- Experience developing embedded software (C/C++)
- You will be eager to expand your capabilities and ambitious for more responsibility
- You will be passionate about electronics, science and technology and enjoy solving problems
- You will enjoy collaborating with designers, mechanical engineers and software developers
- You will enjoy working in a fast paced, varied consultancy environment
- You will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in an electronics development role
- You will be comfortable discussing project objectives and challenges directly with stakeholders and clients
The Electronics & Software Team at KD
Applying the latest technologies to bring products to life from concept through to production.
“We strive to stay at the very forefront of the latest technologies and – combined with experience in developing electronics and software systems – deliver robust, reliable solutions from rapid proof of concept prototypes to market-ready products.”
The Electronics & Software team support our clients in applying the latest technologies to deliver the next leap forward. We have expertise in sensors, connected devices, signal processing, control systems as well as app development and user interface software. Our work incorporates early-stage research – identifying possible technologies or engineering approaches – through to delivery of functional PCBs, firmware and apps ready for deployment to the market – something we have a significant track record in delivering.
Working across the electronics spectrum, from ultra low power microcontrollers up to large, high-speed FPGA and DSP based signal processing systems, we also have experience with communications interfaces and integrate with our mechanical engineers to deliver electro-mechanical and control systems.
Likewise, our in-house, electronic prototyping capability complements our broader prototyping offer to quickly bring ideas to life. Our software team have C/C++ expertise to deliver embedded firmware solutions to bring products to life whilst meeting challenges such as low power operation, or precise timing-critical functionality. We use a range of cross-platform app development tools to deliver rich user experiences on multiple platforms, and have implemented software in rapid prototypes and safety-critical software for medical devices alike.
We have experience designing for compliance with strict regulatory standards targets and to meet the needs of volume manufacture.
Our engineers have a breadth of experience in developing complex electronics and software solutions using the latest technologies.
- ‘Smart’ connected devices
- Low power electronics
- Apps & digital user experiences
- Technology road mapping
- Miniaturised systems
- Smart sensors
- Voice interfaces
- Energy harvesting
- Electronic simulation
- Embedded firmware
- Signal processing
Kinneir Dufort (KD) is a world class User-Centred Innovation and Product Development Consultancy, with a strong track record of creating world class products and experiences for global clients in medical, consumer and industrial sectors.
We are driven to collectively Design a Better World, achieving positive outcomes for the people we are designing for and generating value for our clients. We describe ourselves as a group of people focused on being open, smart, curious, pioneering, demonstrating respect and ensuring we have fun along the way.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, today the award winning KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building, centrally located near Christmas Steps, was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850. Before our arrival, the building was being used by a theatre costume storage company and we refitted and modernised the building prior to moving in.
Today, our business and team is again expanding rapidly as we acquire new clients and projects, and as a result we are building new adjacent offices. Work on the new glass building is set to start in autumn 2019, and we hope to connect the two buildings together in early 2020. Having all of our staff, skills and equipment housed in one building ensures we quickly exchange ideas, and can continuously work as multidisciplinary teams.
Check out our Instagram account to get an insight into what life is like as part of the KD team, and inside KD HQ.
Why work with us?
We are only as good as the people in our team, and we know how important it is to support them so that they can do and be their best. As part of the KD team, you’ll be working alongside some of the smartest and most inspiring people you will ever meet. We’re ambitious and driven to be best in the world at what we do.
We offer our staff,
- 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service)
- A matched contributory pension scheme
- Company-wide bonus
- Private health care for you and your family; free eye tests plus an employee assistance scheme for you
- Training and development opportunities, and regular lunch and learn sessions
- Flexible start and finish times: most staff take advantage of our new scheme! We all work core hours 09:30 – 16:00, and then benefit from an early finish of 12:00 on Fridays.
- Secure in-building bike storage and shower, discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes. (Bristol has a good Park & Ride bus network.)
- The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, The Big Bang.
- Our cafe acts as the focal point for the whole agency to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. There is always daily fresh fruit and usually cake! Staff also organise KD runs and yoga sessions, plus monthly “Firsty Friday” socials.
How to apply
If you think you this sounds like you, then please send your application to [email protected]. We embrace equality and diversity in our business, it’s really important to us.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and fulfilment of the criteria above. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Applications close on Monday 25th November 2019.