Head of Human Factors
Kinneir Dufort is a world-class innovation, design and product development team with a driven purpose to design a better world, and a strong track record of delivering successful products and experiences for clients in medical, consumer and industrial sectors. To support the growth and ambition of the business, we are looking for a Head of Human Factors to lead and manage our Human Factors team.
Human Factors is an important representation of KD’s user-centred approach to innovation, design and product development, and is a key part of KD’s Medical offer. Our work involves strategic planning, risk analysis and formative studies to set directions at early stages, and rigorous testing, analysis and summative studies during development and verification stages.
This is also a unique and exciting opportunity to join our senior management team and help to drive our business forward. As such, we are looking for an outstanding individual with exceptional HF knowledge, combined with drive and experience of leadership roles in consultancy, or equivalent environment.
At KD, we understand that we are only as good as the people in our team and recognise how important it is to support them. We offer 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service), a matched contributory pension scheme, private health, company-wide bonus, training and development opportunities and lots more from mindfulness to yoga to daily fresh fruit. Alongside this are monthly socials, flexible start and finish times and the opportunity to work alongside some of the smartest and most inspiring people you will ever meet. We’re ambitious and driven to be best in the world at what we do.
You may be a rising star, looking for an opportunity to step up into a leadership role, or an established professional, with experience in a similar position, looking for a new environment and challenge. Either way, you’ll be talented, driven and ambitious, combining both humility and confidence in your ability to work in partnership with our other Expertise Heads, and to lead our Human Factors team onto new heights.
Your Skills and Experience
- At least 10 years’ experience in Human Factors roles, including Medical device experience (preferably within a consultancy or similar team environment)
- Robust understanding of, and application of Human Factors practice to, the following standards and guidance:
- IEC 62366-1
- ISO 14971
- FDA Guidelines: Applying Human Factors and Usability Engineering to Medical Devices
- Confidence and assurance in planning and delivering HF programmes, predominantly in the UK and US, including: expert review, task analysis, contextual enquiry, formative and summative/validation studies
- Specific experience in the following:
- Overall approach to HF relating to risk management, usability, design/engineering, testing
- HF study planning / design
- Protocol drafting
- Ethical approvals management
- Participant recruitment management
- Study moderation, observation, data capture
- Use error and root cause analysis
- Reporting / presenting recommendations
- HF experience with medical devices, digital user interfaces, packaging, labelling and instructions for use
- Robust risk management and project management, including working within design control under quality management systems
- Proven experience in leading, managing and developing a team (currently 6 people)
- Excellent planning and organisational skills to oversee multiple concurrent programmes
- Excellent communication skills and commercial acumen (including ability to: relate well to colleagues, communicate HF expertise, present compelling credentials and work packages to client audiences)
This is a full-time role based in central Bristol. The role involves a significant amount of travel to undertake fieldwork (typically up to 20% of time – mainly in other UK locations and the US).
Salary commensurate with experience.
If you’d like to apply or discuss the role, we’d love to hear from you (unless you’re a recruitment consultant). We embrace equality and diversity in our business, it’s really important to us.
Deadline for submissions is Friday 30th August 2019.