10 Things We're Doing: Equality in Design
One year ago on International Women's Day 2017, our CEO, Merle Hall, published an article, 10 Things I know about Equality in Design.. frustrated by the slow pace of change and determined to speed it up. This year, here at Kinneir Dufort, we wanted to celebrate the 10 actions (large and small) our team have achieved since last March:
1. We hosted the first Kerning the Gap event outside of London, promoting women in design leadership. In 2018 we're hoping to see that roll out to a further two cities (in addition to Bristol).
2.We brought design to The Big Bang, our team organised and managed it brilliantly, receiving inspiring feedback from the kids they met.
3.We increased the number of female engineers in the business threefold, as part of our hiring a boatload of brilliant people.
4. We introduced enhanced maternity (and paternity) pay.
5. We asked our team what they valued through a staff survey. Answer: Flexible Working. So we celebrated making flexible working work.
6. We went out into schools, primary and secondary, invited them to us and forged links with Babassa, a youth empowerment project.
7. We researched diversity within organisations, with friends such as Creative Equals, and built it into our business strategy.
9. We created a bespoke event for Ladies who UX.
10. We built a library of inspiration in our cafe Top Ten Books for Women and Girls (and everyone else).